Geospatial information services
The Geospatial Basic Data Information System (hereinafter - ĢPIS) is an integrated state information system containing the basic geospatial information data referred to in Section 17, Paragraph 3 of the Geospatial Information Law, and the information system includes the national geodetic network information system, place name database and database of important objects. LGIA is the controller of the Geospatial Basic Data Information System.
The procedure for maintenance and use of the ĢPIS is determined by the Cabinet of Ministers Regulations No. 113 "Geospatial Basic Data Information System Regulations". On 14 May 2014, LGIA registered the ĢPIS in the State Information Systems Register.
ĢPIS maintains basic data of geospatial information in the format of vector data and raster data in the Latvian geodetic coordinate system of 1992 within the scale series 1:250 000 - 1:2 000 in accordance with the specifications approved by the LGIA.
The ĢPIS system ensures the dissemination of geospatial information and the provision of services, as well as the provision of a high-quality information environment on the operation, products and services of the LGIA.
The Information and Services Division of the LGIA provides:
- preparation and posting of up-to-date information on the LGIA websites;
- maintenance and administration of the LGIA Internet home pages, incl. Updating of open data;
- preparation and publication of descriptions of LGIA geospatial information on the public administration services portal www.latvija.lv;
- publication of LGIA products and services and their descriptions on the State Unified Geospatial Information Portal;
- provision and dissemination of geospatial information and services within the competence of the LGIA;
- consultations within the LGIA and for state and local government institutions, individuals and legal persons regarding the production and use, availability and conditions of receipt of geospatial information and related products;
- processing of geospatial information produced by LGIA in various formats, large format prints, preparation of orders in accordance with the request of the defense department, state and local government institutions, Latvian and foreign individuals and legal persons;
- provision of organizational support for the provision of services in the field of geodesy, cartography, geospatial information and printing of cartographic and printing materials (incl. services provided by the Printing House “Map of Latvia” and the Archive and Material Circulation Fund) within the competence of the LGIA;
- at the request of state and local government institutions, within the competence of the LGIA, information for the provision of LGIA opinions regarding local government territorial plans and the conditions for the preparation thereof;
- the quality controls of the geospatial information prepared by the LGIA shall be ensured prior to the transfer to the information requesters;
- surveys on the quality of services provided by LGIA and the quality of their provision and prepares proposals for improving the quality of services;
- prepares and publishes annual public reports on the LGIA website www.lgia.gov.lv;
- compilation and maintenance of up-to-date information on the services provided in the established registers.
The Geospatial Information Systems and Information and Communication Technology Divisions ensure the maintenance and development of the Geospatial Basic Data Information System and the maintenance of the LGIA information technology infrastructure:
- improves and ensures the development and maintenance of information and communication infrastructure;
- ensures the maintenance and development of the ĢPIS infrastructure;
- technically ensures and administers the provision of geospatial information services using web services to the defense departament, state and local government institutions, individuals and legal persons, incl. European Union directives, fulfillment of obligations of international projects;
- performs the placement of geospatial information prepared by the LGIA in the Central database of the LGIA;
- ensures the operation and maintenance of the LGIA Map Browser and the maintenance of Open Data;
- perform the preparation of geospatial data and ensure the quality control of the prepared geospatial information;
- organizes and ensures information system security measures;
- ensures the establishment, maintenance and development of the LGIA Military Geospatial Information System infrastructure.